Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Curry or Soy Sauce?

I have to say, the second time around proves to be much easier, especially in Tokyo. From the previous posts, there was a lot of funny stories to be told when I arrived in Shanghai. But Tokyo is very westernized. The biggest challenge in everyday living is probably the language, especially when I need to purchase something specific. A couple of examples:

(1) I wanted to purchase some soy sauce marinade for chicken and came home with a big packet (which kind of looks like the Jack Daniels marinade pouches). From the pictures, I was 99% convinced it was a soy sauce based marinade. When I started preparing for dinner, I opened the packet to find out that it was curry. It turned out to be good curry, but quite a shocker when you see thick yellow sauce as opposed to thin dark brown sauce.

(2) Lint brush - actually, I'm still not sure if I bought a lint brush or refills to a "swiffer" like cleaning tool. All I know is that the lint comes off my jacket nicely.

(3) Facial products - I purchased a night creme.. but maybe it's a wash? I'm not sure if I need to wash it off or not. Reminds me of a funny story when my 19yr. old teenage cousin was using pro-activ. He said, "Anne, it doesn't work, I put that stuff on and it just looks funny" Well Anthony, it says "mask" on it, do you wash it off? No.. I just rub it in and then go to school. That was probably one of the funniest things I have heard.

0 comments: