Monday, February 2, 2009

More Dough, Less Pizza

So, Anne and I have been looking for some good examples of how we can show our readers back home how much more expensive life in Tokyo is. This last Friday night we found our best example yet. It was cold and rainy all day. Deciding that Anne probably would want to get delivery I went down to the front desk of our apartment and asked for pizza delivery options. They gave me a couple menus and I headed back to the room. After work Anne arrived home with the same pizza menus in hand. To our amusement, we apparently had the exact same idea. So we ordered garlic marbles (not actually marbles, more like donut holes), buffalo wings, and one 14 inch sausage and mushroom pizza. The meal came out to be 5,160 yen. Just in case you are curious, 1 US dollar is currently equal to 89.52 yen. Since I am assuming you are like me and want to avoid doing any more math then is absolutely necessary I did the math for you. The pizza itself was $39.32 and the meal all together was $60.05. Now just in case you think we ordered from a very nice pizzeria I wanted to let you know that the pizza would have been the same price at the Pizza Hut or Dominos here.

0 comments: