Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bill the Dog Catcher Extraordinaire

On Saturday & Sunday Anne and I spent most of the day sitting in our backyard playing with our foster puppy Allison. Well technically Anne spent a good deal of time working, this was due to both a busy schedule and wanting to play with and be near the puppy, but also being allergic to dogs so she can't have too much direct contact. This results in me being Allison's main source of physical attention and she soaked it up all weekend.

On Monday Anne went back to work and I continued my search for work, but apparently this interrupted with Allison's allotted attention time and that was apparently unacceptable for her. So she came up with a brilliant solution. She broke her collar and decided to explore the neighborhood. At one of my breaks I looked in our back yard to find one of our patio chairs sitting in the middle of the backyard 25 feet from our deck. I realized that her chain/leash (whatever it's called) was attached to the chair, but Allison was no where in sight. I will tell you nothing makes you fell terrible like having a foster dog and losing her on the 3rd day. I spent the next 1 1/2 - 2 hours searching for her. I eventually found her about 4 blocks from home sitting in someones yard. They were kind enough to give her water. Allison greeted me with the "Hey dad, where have you been or what took you so long?" look. I took her home and called Anne to let her know she was ok.

Allison was recently spayed and all the activity irritated her stitches so I was off in search of the Midwest Animal Rescue to have them check up on her. I received directions from Anne and drove off to find them. Now as I am sure Anne can attest to I from time to time behave less than intelligent. This was one of those times. I wrote down the directions, but forgot 2 of those directions. This resulted in Allison and I driving for about 1 1/2 hours without finding our destination. We arrived home to see Anne waiting for us and after a laugh at my incompetence we made a second trip - this time arriving at the destination.

Midwest Animal Rescue was nice enough to give us a new collar and the matching leash. They also gave us some medication to prevent infections since the spayed scar was a little bothered by her off the leash antics. They said that we should give Allison the medicine with peanut butter. I had always been told that dogs and peanut butter are funny to watch but I had no idea how amusing it actually was. Long story short, I learned that Allison is quite capable of monopolizing my day regardless what I have planned. Now she is tired out and resting for her next big adventure.

0 comments: